[Towertalk] cable TV hardline

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] cable TV hardline
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 17:59:29 -0600
The VF (velocity factor) or CATV Hardline is *roughly* 0.8,
but the best approach is to measure it or verify that a 50 ohm
load is seen again at the end of the line.

For intermediate lengths, multiples of 1/2 WL work fairly well
over a few % bandwidth, i.e. 1/2 WL on 40M (~56 ft) is also a
multiple of 1/2 WL on 20, 15, and 10M.  Another useful length
is 1/2 WL on 80M CW (3.6 MHz which is ~112 ft) and is also
a multiple of 1/2 WL on 40, (close on)30, 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10M.

Long runs get a little tricky on 10M because the band is so wide
and there are LOTS of 1/2 WL's in a long run.  For example,
a frequency change from 28.0 to 28.56 (2%) times 12 half wavelengths
(17 ft) creates a 1/4 WL shift in a 204 ft long line SO a 50 ohm load
will look like 50 ohms if the line is tuned for CW but will look like
100 ohms at 28.56 MHz.  For 10M one can live with the
minor SWR variations, tune the 10M antennas for 75 ohms,
or install matching networks at each end.

Tom  N4KG