[Towertalk] T2X Start cap at tower base?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] T2X Start cap at tower base?
From: jreisert@jlc.net (Joe Reisert)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 18:52:15 -0400
Tony,

In the past some people put the capacitor close to the rotator to free up 2
extra wires to parallel with others. This helps but I don't think the need
for mounting the capacitor at the rotator is an improvement. In fact, now
you have a weather proofing problem and the capacitor is subject to the
elements of hot and cold wx.

The real problem with the Ham M rotators (excepting the case of a dead
capacitor) is with rotation/opening the brake and the resistance of the
control wires, especially if the control cable is over 100 feet. This can
be helped by using the so called "heavy duty"  8 conductor cable which
bumps up the wire sizes by 2. Hence the control wires are much heavier. I
believe the standard 8 conductor cable is 2 #18 and 6 #22 AWG wires while
the heavy duty is 2 #16 and 6 #18. Perhaps even another jump up is
advisable for long runs (like I have!).

73,

Joe, W1JR