[Towertalk] Generator Suggestions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Generator Suggestions
From: ed@privette.com (Ed W4EP)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 19:59:11 +0000
Boy do I have suggestions!

We live on a mountain top and need back up. We have gone from a 4500w Onan
gasoline unit to a 12kw Onan propane unit.

If you are going to get something the size of a 7500w go larger and get it
installed permanently.
Mine comes on in 15 seconds after a power failure, runs on LP, we also have
a Jotul LP stove in the family room for back up heat with no fan and no
power required.

My entire back up system including installation by a professional
electrician and a 700gal LP tank was about $8k.

I could roll around the old 4.5kw, wire it in temporarily, handle all the 5
gal gas cans, et al but my wife could not do that alone.

If you are interested here is where I bought mine....2000mi away and they
had it delivered in 5 days:  http://www.norwall.com/onan12GHAB.htm

Norwall beat my 3 local Onan dealers prices by $1800 at least

Any more questions fire away. Ours is now 3 years old and never missed a
beat. Every Friday it fires up at 3pm, runs for half an hour of exercise
and shuts down. I change the oil/filter twice per year. We have had power
outages up to 6 hours and it took right over. You DO have to turn the A/C
and heat pump off. it runs everything else. Perfectly stable regulated
power. I would not go with anything other than Onan.

73, ed