[Towertalk] Rotator and Antenna Switch Protection Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Rotator and Antenna Switch Protection Question
From: wendell@wyly.org (Wendell Wyly W5FL)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 17:04:49 -0500
Yes, but I want to build the device myself using suitable components (leaded
heavy duty devices)rather than buying the complete assembled unit from
Polyphaser or ICE.  Am unsure of the ratings and type devices required as I
have a lot of control wires that need the protection and hoped that someone
else had solved the problem.  I had seen devices rated at over 10,000 amps,
but they looked more suitable for 115 volt surge protection rather than low
voltage protection.

I get lots of lightning at my qth.  There are lots of advantages to a
hilltop location with a clear view to the horizon - but weather is NOT one
of them.  My tower has been hit by lightning many times, but I want to
automate the antenna relay selection and the circuit is probably not as
forgiving as the old reliable rotary switch without some kind of protection.