[Towertalk] Tri-band beams - trap questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tri-band beams - trap questions
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 08:51:45 -0600
A  TRAP is a TUNED CIRCUIT consisting of a coil and a capacitor.

The ATB34 used a coil and a capacitor consisting of a short piece
of coaxial cable, using the cable capacitance to tune the coil.

Modern Traps use the capacitance between an inner piece of
element tubing and the outer trap cover to tune the coil.

TUNING  of the TRAP is  CRITICAL.

You can't just replace an ATB34 coil / capacitor with any
modern trap and assume the element will be tuned for
some desired level of performance.  You MAY be able to
use the element material and a trap designed for the A4
along with the A4 dimensions.

Tom  N4KG