[Towertalk] Tower Buidling 201

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower Buidling 201
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 22:17:08 -0600
QSL Roger.  I believe the REAL reason Rohn was able to specify
CLOSER  SPACING for the Tiltover Tower Guys is the fact that Tiltovers
were limited to 68 ft MAXIMUM  Height and modest antenna weights
which also translates to modest windloads.

The 80% guying distance recommendation is a *compromise* between
COST, LOAD CAPACITY, and SPACE REQUIREMENTS at the MAXIMUM  RATED  HEIGHT
for the tower (200 ft for R25, 300 ft for R45).  Lower
heights and / or lighter loads can be safely handled at closer spacings.
This requires a thorough ANALYSIS to verify that the load ratings of
the Tower and GUYS are not exceeded.

As you noted, 4 way guying was needed for TILTOVERS to provide
clearance when tilted. To my mind, the additional 15% guy load reduction
going from 3 to 4 guy directions is not terribly significant compared to
the other issues addressed above.

Tom  N4KG