[Towertalk] Tree Mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tree Mounts
From: ve7hcb@rac.ca (Chris BONDE)
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:22:28 -0700
At 09:19 AM 2002-09-09 -0400, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:
>    Trees are pretty danged strong and do not need any kind of guying.
>
>     If your pole moved, it was probably not installed correctly. The other
>reason to guy it was just pursuing good old belt-and-suspenders engineering.

I agree for the most part.  Check upon what type of tree you are
using.  Some trees have mainly surface roots.  These run a few centimetre
below the ground surface, sucking in as much as possilbe.  A good wind will
leverage them over.  Other trees have tap roots, ie almost 50% of the root
goes down, down.  These are very resiliant against the wind.

But, as most of the adventurous say, try it.  That is what a Radio Amateur
Experimental Operator is about.
(Yah, but I just lost a good rig. )

Chris opr VE7HCB