[Towertalk] Re: [Towertalk] Pattern

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: [Towertalk] Pattern
From: i4jmy@iol.it (i4jmy@iol.it)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 17:19:35 +0200
Hi Dan,

I've no experience with boom loaded dipoles, but with self supporting
loaded dipoles on low bands yes.
I think a 140 ft high dipole on 80m will be an efficient transmitting
antenna meanwhile I doubt it will be the same good "tool" as a
receiving antenna.
Actually, the theoretical dipole figure 8 pattern with deep nulls in
free space at zero angle doesn't match with real dipoles over ground
although half wave from ground is probably the best among the real
cases.
Also a pair of end fire verticals aren't comparable in directivity with
3 or 4 ones since the -3dB aperture is quite wide.
In my experience what counts to receive is overall directivity, nulls
are good to notch some local noise rather than to decrease fields from
sky waves and gain is quite a relative issue.
Of course anything is better than nothing and a dipole at 140ft is more
than anything.
Anyway, if you have the room try a short simple terminated beverage,
some 300 to 500 ft of copper wire 6ft over ground will give you a
totally different reception, just another world compared to the high
dipole or to a couple of verticals.

73,
Mauri I4JMY