[Towertalk] Phillystran break strength vs. diameter?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Phillystran break strength vs. diameter?
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (Jon Zaimes AA1K)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 08:26:16 -0400
Scott,

It may depend on the vintage of the Phillystran.

I just measured some HPTG4000 (3/16" equiv., uses preforms for end
termination; this is still new, on the reel) and some older 1/4" equivalent
that used the potted ends (was in use for several years). Both measured
just under 8 mm (about 5/16"). It appeared the HPTG4000 had a slightly
thicker jacket than the older stuff.

Rohn book says 3/16 is OK for all guys on 120 feet of Rohn 45 in 70 mph
wind load, but in 90 mph load zone they call for 1/4 inch on the top guys
and 3/16 on the two lower sets.

73/Jon AA1K