[Towertalk] 45G (guyed) vs. SSV (self-supp'g) 70-ft. tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 45G (guyed) vs. SSV (self-supp'g) 70-ft. tower
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:06:17 -0400
At 7:55 AM -0600 9/30/02, n4kg@juno.com wrote:
>Why don't you call Texas Towers, get the prices for ALL
>of the material you would need and add it up YOURSELF?
>...Then call a professional tower installer (K7LXC is one) and
>get a quote on the cost of installation of each approach?
>YOU could even call multiple sources and compare prices.

That's exactly what I'll do if it's not going to waste those folks'
time.  All I asked for here was an _estimate_.  I expected that among
Towertalk subscribers there'd be folks who could give me estimates
right off the tops of their heads because they'd traveled this road
before.

As a newbie, I don't know whether the cost difference would be $3k or
$30k.  The cost of the steel seems negligible, but erection of a
self-supporting tower looks like an awful big job.

73 de Chuck, W1HIS