[Towertalk] Tensile strength - Cu wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tensile strength - Cu wire
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 15:25:16 -0300
Not sure where you'd find it on the web, but my (old) ITT Reference
Data Book says that for hard-drawn copper wire, tensile strength is
roughly 65,000lb/sq-in for wire sizes 8AWG-18AWG (lower for big wire,
higher for smaller wire):

10AWG is .0082 sq-in,  so 520lb breaking load
14AWG is .0032 sq-in,  so 210lb breaking load

Hope this helps.
73 Mike N2MG