[Towertalk] coax on new tower ( high desert )

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] coax on new tower ( high desert )
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:53:21 -0700
The problem with RG8 "foam" cables is the same problem that all "soft"
cables have, that being it's mechanically fragile.  If handled with care, it
should last a long time.  But it should not be clamped, ever, to anything,
and I'd avoid the use of even nylon tie-wraps with foam dielectric cables
other than hardline.  When taping foam dielectric cables (or spiral, air or
gas filled dielectric cables that are soft, including 9913, LMR400, CXP1318,
etc, etc), PVC tape may be used, provided it's not pulled tightly during the
wrapping, and the tap wrap loosely spirals a few inches of cable to its
fixing (boom, mast, tower leg, whatever).  If PVC tape is pulled and
stretched during wrapping, that is a failure waiting to happen.

WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti