[Towertalk] andros 2 piece N connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] andros 2 piece N connectors
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 16:05:14 -0500
A couple of points:

1.) Filing down the center conductor slightly, helps to prevent any
misalignment problems.  If the end of the conductor is even slightly bent
due to clipping the cable, you will have problems.

2.) I disagree completely with your statement about stranded center
conductors.  I have done several assemblies with stranded center conductors
and have had ZERO problems.  I fail to see how it is a misapplication.  In
fact, I found the stranded conductors to be EASIER to use.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 10/7/02 9:50 AM, Steve Katz at stevek@jmr.com wrote:

> The 2-piece Andros type N connectors are intended for use with solid
> center-conductor coaxial cable such as 9913, 9086, LMR400, etc.  The center
> conductor does NOT need to be filed down in any way, the #9.5 AWG conductor
> slips right into the center pin perfectly.
>
> The caveats are:
>
> -The center conductor of the coax needs to be precisely centered prior to
> screwing the Andros body onto the cable; if there's any misalignment at all,
> even .030" or so, the center conductor can "miss" the center pin, and push
> the Teflon dielectric right out the end of the connector, rendering a $4
> paperweight, and you must start over again with a new connector.
>
> -Don't use stranded-conductor cable, at all -- this is a misapplication and
> very tricky.

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA