[Towertalk] Feeding longwire with coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Feeding longwire with coax
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 11:10:53 -0400
At 7:47 AM -0700 10/8/02, Steve Katz wrote:
>...Normally, for an end-fed wire, if the wire isn't brought directly
>to the tuner, it's fed with open-wire or ladder line, using the
>balanced output terminals of a tuner in the shack, and one side of
>the line driving the wire, with the other side unterminated.  This
>is the standard, old-fashioned "Zepp" feed, and it works.

Yes, it does.  The balanced line should be an odd number of quarter
wavelengths long, and if the antenna and feedline are tuned
correctly, the balanced line can be connected to an unbalanced tuner
output without a balun, yet very little common-mode current flows at
the tuner end.  If anyone is interested I can have a NEC-4 simulation
of this that I could email.  I built it, too, and it worked.

>I wouldn't use coaxial cable for this, at least not for multi-band use.

Agreed.  The SWR on the line is very high.

73 de Chuck, W1HIS