[Towertalk] choices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] choices
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 01:14:48 -0400
At 1:16 PM -0700 10/8/02, Steve Katz wrote:
>I wouldn't mount a G5RV as an inverted vee; actually a G5RV's not
>much of an antenna on 80m at all, so I wouldn't bother with it.

It's not _all_ bad.  My G5RV in the shape of an inverted "U" only 30
feet high and my friend W1NU's G5RV in the shape of an inverted "V"
55 feet high at its apex both work well on both 80 and 40 meters (as
well as 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10 m).

How well?  On 80 m transmitting just 5 watts I worked the UK several
times last *summer*.  On 40 m transmitting 10 watts I worked the UK
and several countries in Europe.  On 40 m transmitting 100 to 200
watts I worked all continents except Antarctica (which I did work on
20 and 17 m).

73 de Chuck, W1HIS