[Towertalk] Balun Location

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Balun Location
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:28:18 -0400
At 5:09 AM -0500 10/10/02, Dennis Mowers wrote:
>I'm using a choke balun formed by winding coax around the boom on a 4
>inch form.

The boom will be a big fat shorted turn, so to some extent it will
spoil the choke, but winding coax around the boom on a form should
still work if the diameter of the form is much greater than (say,
more than twice?) the diameter of the boom.

>Since the choke is in series with the feedline, can the [choke] be
>located 10 ft away, at the mast, or must it be located at the
>feedpoint?

Put it closer to the feedpoint than one-quarter wavelength at your
highest operating frequency, or you may have resonance trouble.
Remember why guy-wire insulators should be closely spaced.

73 de Chuck, W1HIS