[Towertalk] Tower mount of KLM 80M dipole?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Tower mount of KLM 80M dipole?
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:31:38 -0500
Howard,

Look back at a CQ Magazine article from the last couple of months. (Can't
remember the issue, possibly July, Aug. or Sept.) There was an excellent
article on the subject of sidemounting, the dangers of doing it improperly
and the right way to do it. The article was written by a P.Eng who is also a
ham.

Though it was written primarily for sidemounting yagis, it likely applies in
your case, given the length of an 80-m dipole.

There were a few issues at play: the ability of one leg of tower to
withstand the torsion of antenna movement, the need to disperse torsional
forces into all three legs and the risk of the clamps chewing through the
tower leg (or at least the galvanized coating).

It should answer your questions.

73, kelly
ve4xt