[Towertalk] 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40M 4 Sq vs. 2 el Yagi at 70 ft
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 17:59:16 -0400
This has been a timely thread. As reported previously, I have a 40M 4-square
with 240 radials and recently installed a 2-el 40-2CD 40M beam at 50 feet on
an AB-577 portable military tower. Testing over a period of weeks revealed
that the 40-2CD is 1-2 S-units, or about 6-12 dB, louder than the 4-square
on most paths. I had expected the 4-square to do better on long-haul DX to
VK/ZL, but that was not the case.

Last week, I installed the 75' extension kit on the AB-577. Preliminary
tests show that the 40-2CD is now 2-4 S-units, or about 10-15 dB, louder
than the 4-square to EU from here in W1. I was a little surprised that the
difference was so pronounced, although EZNEC modeling shows that that the
extra 25 feet lowers the peak elevation angle by ten degrees, from about 35
degrees to about 25 degrees. I haven't tested the new setup on long-haul
paths.

I suppose my 4-square might not be optimum: it's on a hill so the feedpoints
are not exactly at the same elevation. It's possible that there's been some
degradation in the radial screen over time. However, F/B is still 20-25 dB
and dumped power is less than 2% at resonance. It's a great antenna,
especially for changing directions fast, but I doubt there's a contester out
there who would use it over the 40-2CD at my QTH, especially to EU. The
difference is just too big. However, I'm not going to take down the 4-square
anytime soon. But it's not to be able to switch from NE to SW quickly: the
40-2CD's F/B is so bad that it's not necessary! It's to quickly switch to
side angles or to quickly eliminate stateside QRM from strong adjacent
stations.

As someone said, more antennas is better!

If you can swing the 40-2CD at 1/2 wl or higher, go for it. Otherwise, the
4-square is still a great antenna. BTW, a 4-square with a full compliment of
ground-mounted radials requires a *lot* more work than a 75' tower. It took
most of one winter to build the elements, pre-cut the radial wires and
solder them to copper rings. It took another month or two to install the
elements, lay out the elements, and solder/weatherproof all the junctions in
the center of the square. It's less expensive than a new guyed tower with a
2-el shorty forty, but not exactly cheap: between the high-quality extruded
aluminum sections for the elements, mounting posts, phasing box, phasing
lines, baluns, coax, connectors, KW dummy load, dumped power meter, control
cable, various hardware and 7000 feet of #16 bare copper wire, I probably
spent over $1000. It can be done cheaper if you have a source for cheaper
aluminum/wire, already have the coax, build your own phasing box, etc.

It took about four hours to install the (used) 40-2CD on the (used) AB-577,
and maybe another four hours to take it down and raise it to 75'. I haven't
paid for the beam or extension kit, but the total would be less than $1,000.

73, Dick WC1M