[Towertalk] Commercial 300W Amp

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Commercial 300W Amp
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:44:04 -0500
on 10/15/02 7:00 PM, Jason Hissong at jhisson1@columbus.rr.com wrote:

> Since I am getting a new beam and will have it about 40 feet, I was thinking
> of getting an amp.  More of an afterthought really.  Anyways, is there a
> commercially available 300W amp?

Jason,

A couple points:

1.) The best place to ask amplifier questions on is on the Amps reflector
(amps@contesting.com).

2.) If I had the money to spend on either a 300 Watt amp or an additional or
better antenna, I would take the antenna.  A 300 Watt amplifier is only
about a 4.5 dB or so increase in power over a 100 Watt transmitter.
Considering an S-unit is about 6 dB, it's not going to help all that much.
You'd be better off putting the money into a better antenna and/or coax
which will help with not only your transmitted signal, but your received
signal as well.  I am not trying to start the age-old Pout vs. antenna
debate.  It's just that for what you get, going up to 300 Watts doesn't help
all that much.  You'd achieve much better results were you to say go to a
1000 Watt or 1500 Watt amplifier, but again, since this reflector is for
antennas and towers........With a limited budget, go for the best basic
setup you can.  Get the tower up and then get the best antennas you can
afford and the best coax you can afford.  If after that, you can get a good
sized amplifier - go for it!

73,

Jon
NA9D