[Towertalk] Moving To New QTH

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Moving To New QTH
From: N4OX@webtv.net (N4OX@webtv.net)
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:59:18 -0500 (CDT)
Has anyone on the list lived near, very near a 100,000 watt FM broadcast
station tower? I have a unique housing situation. I am a Deputy Sheriff
and currently live on the grounds of an elementary school where I
provide "security" for the school building and grounds. This has been a
good deal for me economics wise. Free lot rent, free electricity, free
garbage disposal and free water and sewer. The only real drawback has
been not being able to erect any real antennas. Now for the problem. The
school board has decided and is in the process of building a new school
and will possibly close the school where I currently live and most
likely sell the building and property. No, I can't afford to buy the old
school.

I may have an opportunity to move the trailer I own and live in to
another site, that being the grounds of an FM broadcast station. The
tower is approximatley 1200 feet tall and has a 100,000 watt transmitter
on it. The output power may not actually be 100,000 watts, that may be
E.R.P. In any event, it's a high power FM station operating at 107.3.
There is ample room at the site for me to locate my trailer away from
the tower to avoid any possible damage or injury in case of a freak ice
storm. I would like to talk to anyone who has had a ham station located
"close" to a tower like this to find out if there were any RF problems.

You can either reply to the list or to me directly.

73, Jay N4OX