[Towertalk] 40m ant

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] 40m ant
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 02:23:38 -0400
Neither, and both...

Assuming, since you live in NJ, that it's not the SW you are worried
about with a dipole on EU, that the direction in question is to the
NW.

Sloping the dipole down toward the west or NW between 30 and 45
degrees off horizontal will pick up the NW, eliminating the null off
the NW end of the dipole.

Assuming the SW end of the dipole is still at 100 feet, the coverage
to the NW would only be a db less than the vertical dipole, and the
coverage to the NE/SW only a db less than the horizontal dipole. This
still retains most of the significant improvement of a horizontal
dipole over a vertical in the broadside direction.

If the 100 foot end is at a tower, the performance to the NW is
improved somewhat at the expense of SE.

If a tower and what you are looking for is a 40m SS antenna, then hang
the top of the antenna at 50 feet sloping down to WNW, and you have
270 degrees of ~5dbi at 45 degrees takeoff.

73, Guy.