[Towertalk] guying tolerance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] guying tolerance
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:06:51 -0400
At 02:36 PM 10/24/02 +0000, ted demopoulos wrote:
>Don't have the Rohn catalog in the office so I'm not sure, but I *believe*
>the specs state the guys need to be 120 degrees apart +/- 5 degree.
>Or at least, in one catalog from Rohn, they specified some tolerence,

This reminds me of an episode when we were putting up my tower -- the
backhoe digging for one of the guy anchors hit an unmapped corner of the
septic field.  This was not going to work ... so I had him fill in that
smelly hole and dig another about 10 feet further out from the tower, in
the same direction. My logic was that placing the guy further out would
only reduce the stress on the guy (and the force compressing the tower) for
any given wind pressure from that direction.  I hope I was right, but it's
been up 7 years so far.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower