[Towertalk] Protecting open wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Protecting open wire
From: jhburns@attglobal.net (Jeff Burns)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:11:39 -0500
I am planning to feed an antenna with open wire. What is the best way to
provide lightning protection?

The open wire will stop at a balun. The last six to ten feet to the shack
antenna tuner will be coax.

I could mount a coaxial impulse suppressor at the signal point ground in the
shack, or Array Solutions sells suppressors made for two wire feeders. Would
it be better to put one of these outsides to sink energy before it gets into
the house? Also since I will be using this antenna for on several bands do I
need to be concerned about exceeding the voltage rating of the suppressors?

Jeff Burns

AD9T