[Towertalk] Phillystran question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Phillystran question
From: alwilliams@olywa.net (Al Williams)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:46:46 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "GALE STEWARD" <k3nd@yahoo.com>
The top set of guys went to the HAZER
> and the lower set to the tower. As I recall the
> procedure was as follows:
>
> * Position the antenna correctly and then crank the
> HAZER down until it is just above the lower set of
> guys. The top guys have gone slack.
>
> * Climb the tower and install temporary guys 8-10 ft
> above the HAZER. Have a ground crew person connect
> them to the anchors.
>
> * Remove the lower set of guys on the way down.
>
> * Crank the HAZER down to ground level.
>
> Reverse the procedure to put everything back up. You
> can work on the antenna at ground level but you still
> need to climb. With no load, the unsupported top 20-30
> feet are apparently easily supported by the temporary
> guys.
>
> This is from memory but I don't think I missed
> anything. I probably have a copy of the article in my
> files somewhere.
>
> 73, Stew K3ND

Although I have a Glenn Martin tower and Hazer, I have
yet to install it.  However, Their literature clearly claims
that "...you never have to climb a tower again..." and
also includes "...never climb the tower..." in their safety
precautions.

Also, it seems to me that the raising pulley, cable,
and winch can be installed while the tower is still
horizontal?

k7puc