[Towertalk] Counterweights for wire verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Counterweights for wire verticals
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 21:09:11 -0500
At 01:43 PM 10/28/02 -0800, Steve Katz wrote:
>I've used cinder blocks or cement blocks for this.  Heavy, cheap and strong
>enough to do the job.  Be sure nobody can walk under it, though.  One never
>knows when the rope will give way...!

When I was a kid, I had an 80-meter dipole made of #12 copperweld.  The
weights we used then were 2-foot lengths of 2-foot diameter oak tree trunk,
with a screw eye inserted.  Needless to say, they weren't far off the
ground.  and after 4 years, when I took the antenna down the copperweld
rolled right up.  That is TOUGH stuff.

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower