[Towertalk] Re: Counterweights for wire verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Counterweights for wire verticals
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:50:09 -0500
No water jugs and no bleach jugs, which can be pretty flimsy.

ANTIFREEZE jugs.

And available in black if you get certain brands.

Someone posted about not being enough weight to haul up coax. True,
but was only being used to pull up copper wire for a wire vertical out
in the woods, or either support point of an inverted L, which has no
coax to drag up in the air.

Also, if a pulley is supported in a tree, then having twelve pounds on
the branch is better than eighty. Especially if the wind gets going.

As to the weight blowing around in a human traffic area, this is not
the solution for a human traffic area.

Never had an antifreeze jug decompose, split (as long as not full to
top), or leak. Always outlasted the antennas, which have come down for
various reasons: moving, boredom, falling trees, evaporation caused by
lightning, the usual cast of characters.

73, y'all.

Guy, K2AV
Apex, NC