[Towertalk] Guy Lengths, climbing unguyed tower sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Guy Lengths, climbing unguyed tower sections
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 08:41:24 -0500
At 08:24 AM 10/31/02 -0500, Mark . wrote:
>If you put up 130 feet with the last guy at 90 feet, then your climber is
>going to have a wild ride! Although opinions vary, and this tower is
>remarkably stiff, I still cringe a little at the thought of doing anything
>at the top of 4 sections (40 feet) of unguyed Rohn 25!

Cringe is right.  I think I would only do it with a crane!  I've been on
top of 4 unguyed sections -- well, guyed at 31, next guy set being
installed at 62, so I was 8 feet down from the top of the 4th
section.  That SLOOOW oscillation convinces you that you're probably about
to go for Mr. Toad's wild ride.  No thanks!

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower