[Towertalk] Pouring base of tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Pouring base of tower
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 20:30:05 -0500
Wes:

     From your description it sounds like you're installing a pier and pad
type of foundation.  That is, the base is a flat, thick concrete slab ( your
9' X 9' X 18" pad), and the tower actually gets bolted to a tall, slender
column (pier) of concrete (5' X 5' X ??) that extends upward from the slab.
That's the way these things are usually done - two distinct pours.  Just
make sure you (or someone you've hired) backfills properly after the
concrete cures and you've removed the form for the column (you WERE planning
on removing the form, weren't you?).  The backfill material has to be
compacted while it's being replaced.  You can use a tamping plate to pound
the dirt around the column as each foot or two has been shoveled back in.  A
real PITA, but necessary.  The commercial projects, rather than
tamp-as-you-go, use a bulldozer to run back and forth across the fill after
it's all been replaced.

     BTW, how deep is the excavation in total?

73 es GL de
Gene Smar  AD3F