[Towertalk] coax losses over time

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] coax losses over time
From: frenaye@direcway.com (Tom Frenaye)
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:15:44 -0500
I've seen lots of printed references to the fact that coax losses increase over
time but have never seen any "hard" data.   Are there any real studies of coax
deterioration?     Makes sense that it would deteriorate more quickly outside,
in the sun, or buried, than inside, for example.

I assume that the primary cause of deterioration is the dielectric material,
correct?   How does CATV hardline compare to something like RG-8 foam, for
example?

Or, is it all so variable that it makes more sense just to measure the loss on
each one.  (i.e., no rules of thumb apply)

                                -- Tom

=====
e-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box J, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444