[Towertalk] Towertalk Huh?!?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Towertalk Huh?!?
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2002 06:34:28 -0600
I am going to take a stab at this, but perhaps I will not be 100% correct.

The "live" end of the cable has the majority of the forces on it.  It has
much greater tension on it than the dead end of the cable.  The u-bolt part
of the cable clamp will distort the cable as it is tightened.  The idea is
that if you are going to distort the cable, you do it to the end that
doesn't have a load on it.  The distorted cable is probably weakened which
you don't want to have on your live end.  It's OK on the dead end since
there is little to know tension on that part of the wire.

Someone else can probably do a better job at it than me.

73,

Jon
NA9D

on 11/6/02 10:44 PM, Dino Darling at k6rix@arrl.net wrote:

> Yep, I know the rule...I just don't know "WHY"!  I'm primed for an
> education so let er' rip!
>

>> Yup, there bassakwards. Remember the old rule...."Never saddle a dead horse."
>> 73s  kc0kra,  Bing

Jon Ogden
NA9D (ex: KE9NA)

Life Member: ARRL, NRA