[Towertalk] Yaesu G-500A Rotor Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Yaesu G-500A Rotor Question
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:27:31 -0600
Hi all,

I am making an effort to get my satellite station back on the air after it
was taken down by a windstorm last spring.

I am going to use a Yaesu G-500A elevation rotor on the new setup.  I bought
this at Dayton a couple years ago, but have never used it.  The rotor and
control box have worked in the past.

Today I hooked things up to test them out again.  This time though, the
rotor turns, but I get no deflection on the meter on the control box.  In
other words, I would not be able to tell what my elevation angle is.  The
only deflection I get is when I hit one of the stops, the needle on the
meter swings completely from one side to the other.

I know little about the inner workings of rotors and I have no manual for
this beast.  Looking in the control box, it appears that wires 1 and 2 are
the only ones used for anything other than motor control.  These lines run
to the meter circuitry.

Can anyone give me an idea here of what is wrong?  Is there some part inside
the rotor itself that may have gone bad?  Again, this worked fine about a
year and a half ago.  It's just been sitting in my closet.

Thanks es 73,

Jon
NA9D

Jon Ogden