[Towertalk] tower joint Conductivity ???

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] tower joint Conductivity ???
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:11:12 -0500
At 09:26 AM 11/20/02 -0500, Mark . wrote:
>Interesting data posted about actual DC conductivity across joints. I
>think the towers that benefit most from jumpers across the joints are
>larger sizes where the sections to not have socket joints but rather have
>flat faces at the joints that are simply bolted together. There was some
>discussion of this ages ago in the archives.
>Socketed joints that were not cleaned and prepped with antioxidant could
>probably benefit as well.

Here's another data point.  The 50 feet of Rohn 25 between my shunt feed
ground and the tap on the tower, plus 50 feet of #14 copper, measured under
0.05 ohms on my DVM -- actual reading was 0.0. Whew -- another thing NOT to
worry about before Friday.

Mileage clearly varies on this -- I did no special prep on the joints,
though they were relatively clean and rust-free.  Is Zinc oxide conductive?

73, Pete N4ZR
Sometimes a tower is just a tower