[Towertalk] quad

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] quad
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:41:06 -0500
At 4:00 PM -0500 11/20/02, Ken McKinney wrote:
>I am in the process of looking at a possible purchase of a quad....
>I am told that...angle of radiation is 3-9 degrees.

The elevation angle, with respect to the horizon, of the direction of
maximum radiation depends much more on the antenna's height above
ground than on the antenna itself, for an antenna of this size (not
much larger than the wavelength).

The horizontal beamwidth of the antenna, if that's what you meant by
"angle of radiation," will be much greater than 3-9 degrees.

-Chuck, W1HIS