[Towertalk] rigging rope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] rigging rope
From: faunt@panix.com (Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 21:24:40 -0500 (EST)
I've been looking into this a bit.  I've found that braided rope
designed for arborists makes me happiest.  It's flexible, so knots
hold well, is designed to resist abrasion and is relatively
inexpensive for the quality.  Climbing rope doesn't handle abrasion
terribly well, and some of the cheaper plastic ropes don't hold knots
well and tend to slip through hands, too.  Braided line is more likely
to do what I want it to, whereas laid (or twisted) line has definite
ideas about what it wants to do and how it wants to be handled.  Often
your helpers aren't really familiar with the ways to properly handle
rope, and braided line is easier on them.  I use bags, rather than
buckets, but they both work well.

1/2" is great if someone will be pulling on it, since it makes a
reasonable handful.  7/16" is lighter, but harder to hold.

One of these days I'm going to find out how to make splices in the
braided lines I like, but in the meantime, knots work well.

I also use sewn webbing loops for slings and like attachments.

I've been using a carabiner hooked into the top of the mast with a climbing
pulley for hoisting antennas, but am looking for something that's
designed for the mast top, since this is clearly abuse of the 'biner.

73, doug

who also climbs trees and the rigging of historic ships.