[Towertalk] Ground Rod Pounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Ground Rod Pounding
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:32:50 -0500
Kimo Chun, KH7U, sent me the following addition to this thread:

"I also found that Erico (Products?) (the maker of "CadWeld"
products which I've used to weld my rods to ground wires and
tower rebar) sells tool steel "caps" about 6" long that fit
over standard ground rods - you buy the appropriate size.
Then you can use any of those fence pounders or hammers
and not mushroom the head of the rod. Though, I wonder
if you really "rail" on them... will they be easy enough to
get off the top of the rod when it does "mushroom" however
little? I guess that's when a little "persuasion" does the trick.

"The importance of not mushrooming depends on whether
you plan on using CadWelding or equivalent means to
attach the wire. The single use welds or the graphite
forms require the rod to be relatively intact."

73 de Chuck, W1HIS