[Towertalk] Hand winches??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Hand winches??
From: jperalta@tampabay.rr.com (jperalta@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:20:57 US/Eastern
I have a UST 89' tower with a raising fixture. We made an adaptor to the winch
handle from a piece of pipe with a shaft welded in such a way that it will fit
the chuck of a 1/2" DeWalt drill motor and will replace the hand crank. The
drill motor turns too fast for the tilt over process, the brake gets too hot
for my liking. Since I don't tilt the tower over very often, and since the
tilting over process is the less physically taxing, it has not been a problem.
However when raising the tower to the standing position the drill works very
well. The drill motor was way less that $200. I think it was in the $150 range
at the Depot.

Julio,W4HY