[Towertalk] Re: Topband: Re: Yaesu FT1000mp Mark V Key Clicks

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Topband: Re: Yaesu FT1000mp Mark V Key Clicks
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com (Cqtestk4xs@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:18:05 EST
In a message dated 12/10/02 7:18:38 PM Greenwich Standard Time, na4m@arrl.net
writes:

<< My bet is on the latter...  this issue has been discussed way more than
 enough in public forums such as this that it is unlikely that the
 manufacturers and/or their US reps could not know about it. >>

This summer, after a lightning hit I was in the market for a new transceiver.
 The FT 1000 MP MARK V looked like a good choice but I was concerned with the
reputation it had for poor keying.  After calling almost a dozen dealers,
Burghardt electronics was the only dealer who was able to install the INRAD
mod for this problem.  All the others seemed ignorant of the mod and when
informed about it, said they couldn't do it.  I also got the RF mod done by
Burghardt before they shipped it.  I bought a second 1000 the same way.

I am posting this for several reasons.  First, I don't think the mods are not
common knowledge outside contest circles.  Dealers are ignorant of them....at
least the ones I talked to about them.  Also lots of guys lack the expertise
and courage to modify a $3000 piece of gear. So, they have to pack it up and
be without the rig at least a couple of weeks, pay $80 to $100 for round trip
shipping and also pay for the mod.  I guess it is a lot easier and cheaper to
not retrofit the 1000 for the clicks.  What the hell, the clicks don't bother
them, do they?  As has been stated, a dirty CW sig is a good way to keep a
clear frequency.

Again, Burghardt is the only dealer I know of who does the mod.  I have no
interest in Burghardt other than being a satisfied customer.  As always, you
mileage may vary.

Bill K4XS