[Towertalk] Testing Equipment?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Testing Equipment?
From: ccc@space.mit.edu (Chuck Counselman)
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:32:15 -0500
At 3:52 PM -0800 12/12/02, Dino Darling k6rix wrote:
>When a manufacturer tests antennas on a range, what equipment is
>used?  A field strength meter?  A spectrum analyzer?

I don't know about many manufacturers, but I've seen it done, and
participated, at a few.  There's no universal answer, but typically
the electronic equipment is pretty basic and the physical and
mechanical setup is pretty elaborate.  The electronic equipment
includes a signal (usually sinusoidal) generator which may be
fixed-frequency, stepped, or swept, and a matching receiver.
Typically the receiver tracks the generator or vice versa.  An
ordinary "network analyzer" is commonly used.  For some antennas one
cares about phase shift, in which case the network analyzer is likely
to be a "vector network analyzer."

The antenna under test may be used either to transmit or to receive.
I've seen both.  Whichever, the other antenna is usually directional,
for the purpose of rejecting waves reflected from the ground, walls,
whatever.  antenna under test is typically rotated while the other
antenna remains stationary.

The "other" antenna has polarization appropriate to the situation.
E.g., if the antenna under test is supposed to be circularly
polarized, then the other antenna is often a helix.  (Helices have
good circularity.)  Usually helices of both senses (RCP & LCP) are
used in order to measure the polarization "purity" of the antenna
under test.  Often a linearly polarized antenna is used and is spun
about the line of sight to determine the circularity of the antenna
under test.  For a ham antenna, cross-polarized response is probably
not often measured.

In addition to towers and rotators (or turntables), the physical
setup usually includes measures for the suppression of unwanted
reflections.  In an indoor range, usable only for short wavelengths,
usually every surface is studded with long pointy pyramids of
RF-absorbent, e.g., carbon-loaded, low-density plastic foam.  Outdoor
ranges may use baffles that look like tipped-over fences.

There are "far-field" ranges and "near-field" ranges.  In a
"far-field" range, the sensor is in the far field, in other words the
radiation field, of the antenna under test.  In a "near-field" range
it is not, and the radiation field is calculated from near-field
measurements.

73 de Chuck, W1HIS