[Towertalk] Sliding lanyards, ascenders etc.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Sliding lanyards, ascenders etc.
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:50:17 +1300
I stress I am not an expert.
But I do observe arborists and rock climbers using sliding lanyards =
(Prusik knots) and ratchet type ascenders a lot.
The advantage of the technique as I see it is that one hooks on once, =
and is hooked on all the time. One can virtually free climb a tower =
which reduces time of exposure compared with sequentially hooking and =
unhooking cow tails or the like. And the more times one hooks and =
unhooks the more chance there is of getting something wrong.
Once one is in position and ready to work then of course hook up with =
positioning and fall arrest gear. Still stay hooked to the static line, =
tho.
At least that is how I am doing it until I see good reason to do =
otherwise. Have tried both ways.
73
Barry=20

end