[Towertalk] split end on coax for Yagi connection?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] split end on coax for Yagi connection?
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:16:53 -0500
Doug:

     Here's what I did for my coax balun (not my idea - just stole
shamelessly from the Antenna Handbook or similar.)

o   Strip jacket about four inches.
o   Remove braid down to about half inch from end of jacket.  TIn the braid.
o   Wrap stripped end of #14 insulated wire (I used stranded wire) around
exposed, tinned shield for three or four turns.  Solder.
o   After connection cools, slip inch and a half length of half-inch
diameter (or appropriate measurement) heat shrink over connection and end of
cable jacket.
o   Fill heat shrink with hot melt glue.  Work glue into and over
connection, removing air and ensuring total coverage.
o   Apply heat gun to shrink tubing.
o   Apply crimp-on connectors to stripped ends of #14 wire and coax center
connector.

     This makes a very neat connection that is much better than taping or
other similar procedures.  You aren't faced with the problem of having to
keep moisture out of the braid, which will be only too happy to wick the
water inside.  If/when I have to replace the balun, I'll be sure to open up
this connection to verify its robustness.  So far so good.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F