[Towertalk] position lanyard and stuff.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] position lanyard and stuff.
From: w5lu@hotmail.com (S. J. Blackwell)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 13:37:18 +0000
I agree with Jon's statement. I began sailing in 1978. Have done 2 Atlantic
crossings with my son in a 37' sloop. The bowline has about 70% of the
strength of the line. It is about the only knot that can take a heavy load
and not jam. It is easy to tie(have tied many times in pitch darknes by feel
only) and release and totally reliable. My life and limb have depended on a
bowline on many occasions. For a knot that will be not need to be released,
I would recommend the Buntline hitch. It has near 100% of the line strength
and takes up little space on the line. It is good for halyards etc, but is
difficult to untie after being placed under a heavy load, usually requiring
a fid to release.
73,
Sam W5LU

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>