[Towertalk] Knot Tying Class

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Knot Tying Class
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 21:51:30 -0600
Sorry.  I disagree.  Not every Boy Scout can show the correct knot to use
and how to tie it.  Just like not every ham can tell someone what the dots
and dashes coming from the radio are saying.

As a scout, I knew the code, but I was way weak on semaphore---which turned
out to be a good thing: in the Navy, I was nice and warm in the Radio Shack
with my mug of coffee typing incoming messages on a typewriter, while the
signalmen were freezing on the signals bridge.

Frankly, I think the idea of a 30 minute forum on knot tying might be
interesting; I'm sure it wouldn't be SRO, though.

It wouldn't have to be long.  If only a couple of knots are presented, so
much the better and simpler (Bowline and figure 8, maybe?). If it keeps
someone from injuring themselves or others, so much the better.  After all,
how many of us have had our ground crew's abilities suddenly come into
question when we haul up the (mast, antenna, tower section, rotator, tool
bag, whatever) and see the knot they used?

If nothing else, it might elevate people's awareness about knots (people not
on this reflector who can't/don't derive the free education it provides.).

73,
dale, kg5u