[Towertalk] tower search

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] tower search
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 19:32:08 EST
In a message dated 12/24/02 4:21:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Dinsterdog@aol.com writes:

> Looking for what would be considered a "quiet" tower.  Moving from Wyoming
>  back to Denver and the new home will allow for anything I want in the
yard.

>  No restrictions, BS, covanants, ordinances, etc.......it just has to be 5
>  feet back from the property line.  Needless to say, it will be close to
the
>  house (small lot) and I wonder if anyone out there knows of a "quiet"
tower.

>  I had a tubular crank up tower that rattle all night and the one BX tower
>  here at the ranch rattles as well.  The tower will have to be self
> supporting
>  and either crank up or fold over.  I know that they all whistle a bit in a
>  wind..........but just going 55 feet plus or minus a few feet with a
planned
>  3 element Fluid Motion beam on top- Any tower suggestions?

    Sure - the Trylon Titan will fit the bill FB. It's bolted together and I
have never seen anything loosen up on one.

    Crank-ups have lots of moving parts and the problem with the BX was that
it is a riveted tower and they can loosen up.

    Laramie County is an 85 MPH windspeed zone; the T500-72 (the most popular
ham configuration) will take 22 square feet at that windspeed. Check  <A
HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.championradio.com</A> for more info,
installation photos (courtesy of KA9FOX) and downloadable drawings.

    I'm not sure why you would need a foldover - they're mechanically more
complex and have potentially noisy moving parts. Build it correctly the first
time and you won't have to climb it until the rotator breaks.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
CHAMPION RADIO PRODUCTS