[Towertalk] Re: Tower Search

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Re: Tower Search
From: Ward Silver" <hwardsil@centurytel.net (Ward Silver)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 20:23:26 -0800
>> Looking for what would be considered a "quiet" tower.
>>  The tower will have to be self supporting and either crank up or fold
>>over.
>> ........but just going 55 feet plus or minus a few feet with a planned
>>  3 element Fluid Motion beam on top - Any tower suggestions?
>>  73  Paul  N0AH
>

> Paul,
>To meet the criteria for being either crank-up or fold over and self
>supporting, as well as "quiet", I believe you are limited to the US Tower
>telescopic mast type tower selection. Fold-overs all needed to be guyed and
>are no longer available new. Lattice crank-ups, as you know, are anything
>but quiet. With the antenna load you indicate, The US Tower MA-550 series
>appears to be just what you're looking for. Check out the
>www.texastowers.com web site for more information.
>Merry Christmas and Best Wishes in your relocation. 73, -=Rog-K9RB=-

MA-550 tubular and similar towers are not really very quiet, either.  The
tubes will "clunk" in the wind, magnified if bracketed to the house, as
well..  Definitely not as loud as lattice towers, but not as quiet as a
guyed or self-supporting fixed-height tower. If quiet is the primary
requirement, even a regular fixed-height will cause some creaks and clunks
if bracketed to a house.

73, Ward N0AX