[Towertalk] Gluing broken ferrite

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Gluing broken ferrite
From: na9d@speakeasy.net (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:27:56 -0600
on 1/11/03 9:46 AM, Chuck Counselman at ccc@space.mit.edu wrote:

> Someone mentioned that he had discarded the pieces of a ferrite
> toroid that had broken in half (due to overheating); I suggested
> "glu[ing] them back together, using rubber bands to clamp them
> tightly while the glue set, to minimize the gap"; and he asked
> off-list, "Does that really work?"

A couple of years ago, I was talking with Earl (applications engineer) at
Amidon about this very subject.  I had a computer monitor cord that I wanted
to put a ferrite on but the connector was too large to pass through the
ferrite.  Earl suggested I break the ferrite in two using a chisel and then
wrap the cord and glue back together.  It worked.  And they break very
cleanly.  Well defined shear planes.

> Probably the best types of glue for ferrite are superglue and epoxy.
> Superglue has the possible advantage of fast curing.  I don't know
> whether superglue is as strong or resists water and heat as well as
> epoxy.

Super glue is hydroscopic (I think that's the term) and absorbs water.  It
gets weaker over time.  Epoxy is really the best sort of adhesive to use.
You can get some pretty quick bonding stuff.  I use the epoxy in the double
syringe.  Works great.

OK, a little off of tower talk, but a good thread.  Thanks, Steve, for the
indulgence!  :-)

73,

Jon
NA9D