[Towertalk] Off Topic:Computer networking in the shack

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Off Topic:Computer networking in the shack
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:45:03 -0800
I think this topic would be fair game for CQ-Contest (I have seen
it discussed there before). While the general topic of computer
networks is a bit off the mark, the specific issue of RFI susceptibility
in computer networks would seem to qualify for Towertalk (weren't
we just discussing how to glue ferrites back together).

FWIW, I have 4 computers networked together using CAT 5 UTP,
a Linksys Router, a couple of hubs, and a Motorola Surfboard
cable modem. While I don't have too much experience with it
at this QTH, I had a similar setup (3 computers) at my old QTH in
Pasadena. In all the time I was there I never had any trouble with
network suceptibility to my HF equipment (even when running
1200 watts on 160 meters with the base of the vertical TX antenna
~8' from the computers/router). I also had very little trouble with
computer noise getting into my receiver (most of my trouble was
powerline noise). What I did have probably came from the computer
monitors (it was never so bad that I spent time trying to localize it).

At the new QTH which is still a work in progress, the new 10/100
autosensing hub I bought at Fry's seems to be putting out some really
strong CW tones on the HF bands. I haven't tried to fix this problem
(other than turning it off on occasion), but I suspect I will be buying
another hub at some point. In the reverse direction (network RFI
susceptibility), my new QTH seems to mirror the old QTH (doesn't
seem to be a problem). YMMV.