[Towertalk] Thanks to the List!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Thanks to the List!
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 17:57:51 -0600
Over the past couple of years, I had read a number of comments on the TT
reflector about the effectiveness of elevating a ground-mounted vertical and
its radials.

This past Friday, in preparation for the NAQP CW contest, I elevated my
little ground-mounted 12AVQ that I had been using as the radio 2 (S&P)
antenna while radio 1 (CQ) was using the beams.

The change was dramatic.  From ground-mounted to 10' really made a big
change in the perforance of the antenna.

I think I had to swap the beams/vertical only a couple of times to make a
S&P QSO; more than 90% of the Q's made on radio 2 were using the vertical.
The antenna performance help my score by more than 10% (639/196 this year
versus 581/193 last year).

Thanks, guys.  This reflector is a great education.

73,
dale, kg5u