[Towertalk] Supporting coax

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Supporting coax
From: barrie@centric.net (Barrie Smith)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:52:22 -0700
Something I've been doing for years on crank-up towers, and towers with is
hazers, is to secure a 1/8" steel cable at the top of the tower, and let
that cable support the coax, and other lines.

I put cable clamps on the steel cable at close intervals near the top, then
at progressively greater intervals toward the bottom.

I use ordinary "pipe wrap" ( two to four foot length, depending on the cable
weight), from the hardware store, around the coax and other electrical
cables.  I tape the pipe wrap with many wraps of good quality tape.  Then I
tie and tape the pipe wrap to the steel cable, using the cable clamps as
support.

I do this two, three or more times down the length of the tower.  Put some
slack  above each pipe wrap section and then only the steel cable will be
supporting weight.

The pipe wrap, and the layers of tape, protect the coax from damage by the
cable clamps and taping.

73, Barrie, W7ALW