[TowerTalk] TA-53-M

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TA-53-M
From: spelunk.sueno@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Wed Jan 29 20:19:19 2003
Mike:

     Others here have suggested Oxgard as an alternative to Penetrox.
Either one will work on Al-Al connections.  But be sure you properly clean
the surfaces before applying the goop.  TowerTalk folk have suggested, and I
followed their advice on my tribander, first to scour the mating surfaces
with Scotchbrite pads (Home Despot, Lowe's, etc.), NOT sandpaper.  Use one
clean piece to clean the aluminum to a shiny appearance, then apply a THIN
layer of anti-oxidant to both surfaces with the brush that comes with the
jar-size Penetrox, etc.  Then work the stuff into the aluminum with another
piece of Scotchbrite.  Don't mix the two pieces of Scotchbrite - one is to
remain relatively clean and the other is to stay moist with the Penetrox.

     Following this procedure (two separate Scotchbrite pieces) will keep
non-metallic material (oxidized aluminum particles, sand, etc) out of the
joint, and allow for a tight mechanical connection (thin layer of paste.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F