[CQ-Contest] RE: [TowerTalk] coax cables

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: [TowerTalk] coax cables
From: G_Dubovsky@Grayson.com (Dubovsky, George)
Date: Wed Feb 5 08:37:06 2003
First, I don't like to use UHF connectors at all; N connectors are easier to
install and more trouble-free over the long haul. But in the few cases where
PL-259s are unavoidable, I *do* use a soldering gun, but without the tip. I
made up two little copper spuds that stick out of both tips of the gun, but
don't touch each other. When I jam the gun against the connector barrel, the
barrel completes the circuit, making a simple and very repeatable resistance
soldering rig.

I can't claim credit for this idea; it has probably appeared in Hints and
Kinks several times over the last 40 years.

geo, n4ua